INNOVATIONS BROUGHT TO our PRACTICE
All the above said, I offer a full spectrum of surgical procedures designed to give you the body you desire and so deserve, whether or not you have had children, and whether or not there is one area of concern or several. My focus is providing high quality, state of the art surgical and non-surgical services in an office based surgical facility that has been accredited by The Joint Commission (the organization that hospitals are accredited by). Since 1994, I have worked with Drs.Adrienne Levy and Brian Slepian, two outstanding anesthesiologists whom I have each had take care of me, several members of my family as well as many of my office staff. My surgical staff as well as my office staff are the absolute best anywhere. My focus is on providing the absolute best results I can possibly deliver with the least amount of downtime and discomfort possible.
I will never say "I am the best" because that is a subjective term - there are no grades in plastic surgery. I live by my reputation and I renew that reputation every single day. I do try to be innovative and here are some of the things that I have brought to my practice so that I can deliver the best results and experiences for any woman desiring a "mommy makeover".
1. I introduced the "One Day Recovery Breast Augmentation" to my practice in June, 2004. 98% of patients recovery in 24 hours or less and need no narcotic pain pills. Initially this was met with skepticism by patients and my colleagues alike, but now over ten years and numerous surgeries later, no one is doubting the truthfulness of the phrase "One Day Recovery" now! Some of my colleagues use the term "Rapid Recovery Breast Augmentation" - but they won't specify just what they mean by "rapid" - a day, week, month? You can read more about the difference between a "One Day recovery breast augmentation" and a "Rapid Recovery breast augmentation" here.
2. In 2008, I designed the Epstein Breast retractors, a set of instruments that are used with the "One Day Recovery Breast Augmentation" procedure. These retractors are available for purchase by any plastic surgeon through the company that manufacturers them (ASSI). In 2011, I designed another key surgical instrument used during the breast augmentation surgery, the Epstein breast implant retractor, which facilitates the performance of the surgery further.
3. In July, 2009, I was the first in Suffolk county and the second on Long Island to introduce the Canfield Vectra 3D computerized imaging system that helps you see how you might look after breast augmentation, rhinoplasty and other surgeries. I am also on the Vectra advisory board for this device which gives me access to the development process so that I can provide valuable input to the development team as well as get first access to the latest features as they are being developed. For instance, I was one of the first Vectra users to have access to the breast lift module and ViewMyConsult which allows the patient to see view the 3D images taken in my office on their home computers!
4. In September, 2011 I introduced abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) without the need for drains. By learning and refining new surgical techniques, I have been able to bring to my patients a better version of the tummy tuck procedure such that those annoying drains are eliminated!
5. I began using the Keller funnels to insert breast implants in 2012. These special funnels allowed me to not only reduce the incision size required to place silicone gel implants, but also to reduce the need to handle them during surgery and permit insertion with far less stress on the implant, thus protecting the implant, and possibly even lowering the risk for infection and capsule contracture. You may hear surgeons advertise "mini-incision" breast augmentation or "super-stealth incision breast augmentation. All they are doing (I hope!) is using a Keller funnel. They are just not saying so. Any attempt to insert silicone gel implants through a smaller than recommended incision without a Keller funnel risks damage and bursting of the implant.
6. In 2012 I introduced the use of Exparel, a new type of local anesthetic (numbing medicine) that can eliminate or greatly reduce postoperative discomfort in the abdomen after tummy tuck for up to 4 days. Due to its high cost, hospitals and ambulatory surgical centers either do not offer the drug, or severely limit its use. It is my opinion that the patient experience is so much better with this drug, that we use it on all of our tummy tucks. Typical postoerative narcotic use during the first 24 hours after tummy tuck is often less than 3 pain pills and sometimes even none! This medication has completely changed the early recovery experience for all of my tummy tuck patients! Less discomfort, less need for narcotic pain medicine, less nausea and consitpation (from the narcotics), earlier mobilization and ambulation, quicker recovery!
7. In 2012 I developed the Epstein abdominoplasty retractors which greatly facilitates the performance of a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) procedure.
8. Late February 2013 I travelled to Bogota, Columbia to learn VASER 4D Liposuction and Lipoabdominoplasty (tummy tuck) and fat transfer. My body contouring practice completely changed at this point. My approach evolved from one of focusing on isolated collections of excess skin and fat to a total rejuvenation of the trunk and upper extremities with attention to not only areas of fat excess but also contour deficiencies which are now treated using the fat removed from the other areas. The result is a much more pleasing overall body aesthetic contour with a much more satisfied patient. The procedures take a bit longer but they are so worth it!!!
9. Allergan Natrelle Highly Cohesive Silicone Gel "Gummy bear" implants were approved by the FDA in February 2013. By this time, these implants have been in use elsewhere around the world for about 18 years. These are teardrop-shaped implants designed to give the very best possible breast shape imaginable and maintain that shape for years longer than conventional round silicone gel implants. Adoption of these implants was a natural progression for me as I had extensive experience with saline teardrop shaped implants years before. About half of my patients now choose these implants for their breast augmentation procedure!
10. In 2013 I added laser services to our practice. This is under the direction of Dr. Elyse Rafal, a board certified dermatologist whom I share my office (and my life) with. We purchased a Cynosure Vectus dedicated hair removal laser, which in my humble opinion is the best hair removal laser currently available anywhere! We also have a Cynosure Icon Aesthetic laser system that does facial skin resurfacing (ablative and non-ablative), photofacials, treats scars and stretch marks, and a whole host of other skin issues. I personally like to use this laser to treat my patient's surgical scars after surgery to soften them, get the red out faster and obtain the very best appearance they possibly can be!