What is Belotero?
Belotero is the newest addition to our armamentarium of injectable facial fillers. Like all injectable fillers, it will integrate with the tissues of your skin, providing added volume and a more youthful facial contour. Belotero is a “hyaluronic acid” (HA) type filler, just like Restylane, Juvederm, and Perlane. What is unique to Belotero is the softness of the gel and the ability to inject it very superficially, essentially right under the epidermis of the skin!
As we age, our skin loses moisture and suppleness, resulting in increased lines and wrinkles. Belotero will help you achieve smoother, more youthful looking skin once again. How is this possible? Belotero can improve even the finest of lines. Unlike other fillers which would cause the formation of palpable and visible lumps when injected so superficially, Belotero can be injected right under the epidermis to treat fine lines that are “etched” in the skin.
Some of the areas that Belotero is especially indicated over other injectable fillers are:
- Glabellar lines (the “11”’s) – Botox is usually used to treat this area, but sometimes there can still be some residual stubborn lines. Belotero is particularly suited her because treatment of these lines requires very superficial injection of filler.
- Fine lip lines – Belotero can be placed directly into the fine “smoker’s lines” to soften the appearance of the upper and lower lip. Other HA fillers would cause lumps in this area.
- Corners of the mouth – Belotero can be injected around the corner of the mouth to support it and turn the corners upward.
- Tear trough are of lower eyelids – when other HA fillers are injected, one may see the “Tyndall effect” – a bluish discoloration of the skin. With Belotero, this is not an issue.
- Belotero may also be used on other areas treated with other HA fillers such as the nasolabial folds and the marionette lines.
When Belotero is mixed with local anesthetic prior to injection, it is a nearly painless procedure typically requiring about ten minutes. You may return to work immediately afterward. Results after treatment do vary by individual. Results can last from 6 – 12 months. Re-treatment is done at such a time when the patient desires additional improvement in contours.